Derek McInnes has praised referee Steven McLean after the match between Livingston and Aberdeen was called off for a second time.

As both teams were standing in the tunnel waiting for kick-0ff, referee McLean conducted a late pitch inspection as puddles started to form on the Tony Macaroni Arena surface. Players from both sides raised concerns and the game was postponed, a new date set for January 30th.

Livingston v Aberdeen - Ladbrokes Scottish Premiership

The managers had a chat. (Photo by Alan Harvey/SNS Group via Getty Images)

After an initial postponement due to a frozen pitch on December 30th, McInnes says this was the right call: “As we travelled down, there were no thoughts that the game was ever going to be in doubt, so the heavy rain has obviously caught everybody out.

“When my staff went out to set up the warm-up, they said they were concerned about the water on the pitch and that was when it started to become a factor. Having come and looked at it myself when I came out to do press before the game, I could understand the worries because it was looking dangerous.

Biggest STAR Your Club Are Trying To SIGN This Month

“The amount of water on the pitch is unusual and it’s just one of those things. The referee has been good, he went around some of the senior players in both sides, boys he’s known for a long time, and got their thoughts on it and they expressed some concerns. I think the consensus among the players was the conditions were dangerous.

Livingston v Aberdeen - Ladbrokes Scottish Premiership

The artificial surface was flooded. (Photo by Alan Harvey/SNS Group via Getty Images)

“Myself and David Martindale had a long chat with the referee and we all agreed the pitch was unsafe. We were debating whether we start and see how we go, should we delay and see if things improved. But the forecast is it is going to be pouring with rain all night and so the pitch isn’t going to get any better.

“It maybe doesn’t look so bad from the side but as you walk across it, you can see the puddles. The ground staff have been sweeping it off, but obviously they can’t do that once the game starts.

“It’s really frustrating that we’ve come all the way down here for the second time in a couple of weeks and not played, but there’s no blame attached to Livingston here. Even when we arrived at the stadium there was no thought of the game being off, but the conditions worsened very quickly and overtook us.”

NTOF now offers a YouTube channel featuring exclusive interviews, post-match discussion, in-depth debate, and much more – LIKE and SUBSCRIBE and don’t miss any of our videos.
Have something to tell us about this article?