Hibs could be without as many as ten first-team players tomorrow night when they take on Ross County in their re-arranged Premiership clash in Dingwall – after a whistleblower claimed the Easter Road players were flouting Covid rules at their hotel ahead of Saturday’s original date with the Staggies.
Christian Doidge, Melker Hallberg, Kyle Magennis and Daniel MacKay have all missed games through injury recently while as many as six players are reported to have tested positive for Covid over the last week.
That’s left Jack Ross’ side down to the bare bones after the SPFL ordered the game be played tomorrow night, with Hibs likely to have to field a number of under-18s against Malky Mackay’s side.
According to one guest at the Kingsmill Hotel in Inverness, Hibs players were wandering around without masks on – with the guest claiming the Easter Road stars have put the public “at risk.”
Speaking to the Daily Record, businessman Brian Trueman was left with his “blood really boiling” after he saw Hibs game was postponed, just hours after seeing players breaching the rules on face coverings indoors, saying: “My wife and I were up staying at the Kingsmill Hotel in Inverness while we visited my mum over the weekend.
“We’d been sitting in the bar on Friday night when we noticed that the Hibs players were obviously staying there as well.
“The main corridor that takes you from reception to the rooms runs through the bar area – which is public – so while we were sat there for a couple of hours we could see the players walking past all the time.
There was a steady flow of them and while the vast majority of them were wearing masks, there were at least three who clearly weren’t.
“There was also a staff member who I held a door open for at one point who was not wearing a mask either.
“When we checked in, we were told that we could take our masks off when we sat down but while walking around the hotel we had to keep it on. There was plenty of signage about saying the same.
“We all know it’s the law these days when it comes to walking about an indoor public place.
“I remember thinking at the time it was quite annoying and that it was typical selfish footballers thinking that the rules didn’t apply to them.
It was only when I saw the statement the next day saying that a couple of them actually had Covid yet they’d claimed to have followed all the rules that my blood really started boiling.
“Really what they’d done was put a lot of people – my family and other families – at risk by not following all the same rules that you and I follow.
“They were using the same lifts as other guests, touching the same doors and surfaces which increases the chance of transmitting the virus.
“When they said taken all precautions that’s what made my blood boil because I know they haven’t.
“I sent an email to the SPFL after I saw the article with the Hibs statement. I just told them I’ve got an eyewitness account that they have not necessarily followed all the necessary precautions. If they want to speak to me I will happily give them all the details.”
NTOF now offers a YouTube channel featuring exclusive interviews, post-match discussion, in-depth debate, and much more – LIKE and SUBSCRIBE and don’t miss any of our videos.