Dundee United’s friendly with Premier League side Sheffield United was abandoned at 1-0 Blades after one half of football in Tayside following torrential rain and wind caused by Storm Francis.

The Tangerine youngsters put in a great shift but a goal from Billy Sharp made it 1-0 Blades before bad weather stopped proceedings after the half time whistle.

Burnley FC v Sheffield United - Premier League

Sharp got the goal. (Photo by Pat Scaasi/MI News/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

It was set to be a great test for Micky Mellon’s fringe side as they looked to build fitness on top of their good start to the season. For some of the young Tangerines to test themselves against a strong Sheffield United side with the likes of John Fleck, Aaron Ramsdale and Callum Robinson involved was set to be a great challenge.

11 changes were made from the Tannadice side who lost 1-0 to Celtic on Saturday as Mellon fully handed youth a chance. Ross Graham gave the Blades a great chance to go in front as he brought down Sander Berge in the box rather rashly. It wasn’t to count for anything though as Sharp hit the post with his spot kick.

Berge was troubling the defence again, running straight through the Tangerine backline before being denied by the feet of Deniz Mehmet. Callum Robinson was next to be denied by Mehmet’s feet before Oliver Norwood had his effort from range flicked away by the Arabs stopper.

Dundee United v Celtic - Ladbrokes Scottish Premiership

Good test for Mellon’s kids against Sheffield United. (Photo by Steve Welsh/Pool via Getty Images)

Dundee United were creating their own chances too though. A neat move from the home team had Declan Glass and Chris Mochrie linking up well on the edge of the 18-yard box, the former unlucky not to get a shot on target.

It was the Premier League visitors who got in front just before the half-time whistle. Berge again was in the middle of action, his shot from range spilled by Mehmet and Sharp captialised with an easy finish. Given how well Mellon’s young side had played in the first half, it was an unfortunate one to concede before the whistle.

And that was to be the last of the action. Due to the torrential weather in Tayside, proceedings were called to a halt after 45 minutes. Whilst not the full 90 minutes both teams would have hoped for, it was a good workout nonetheless for Mellon’s kids.

Have something to tell us about this article?