Hibs will join Celtic, Rangers and St. Johnstone in the semi-finals of the Scottish League Cup after a three-goal blitz in the first half sealed a 3-1 win for Jack Ross’ side at Tannadice.

However, the Arabs will have a few complaints after two massive errors from Willie Collum and his assistants saw his side wrongly have a goal disallowed and concede a penalty that was never a penalty.

The game was only a few minutes old when the Hibees took the lead through Joe Newell, the Englishman firing home from inside the area after Scott Allan teed him up to give the visitors an early advantage.

There was another blow for United after 17 minutes when Charlie Mulgrew was forced off through injury and the Arabs almost got level on the half-hour when Peter Pawlett fired over from 10 yards.

Freeman robbed Hanlon of the ball before Nicky Clark’s pass found the wideman who evaded a couple of challenges before blazing his shot over Matt Macey’s crossbar – while Ryan Edwards’ header is one that the defender should have buried.


After providing the first with an excellent pass, Allan turned goalscorer ten minutes before the break, firing home an excellent volley against the run of play and really taking the wind out of United’s sale.

After looking like they were going to get to half-time at 2-0, Martin Boyle added a third from the penalty spot after a ridiculous decision following a collision between Mark Reynolds and Paul McGinn in injury-time.

Replays showed it was a woeful decision but there was absolutely no question Hibs were good value for their lead as the sides made their way off at the break.

United started the second 45 much brighter, Scott McMann proving to be their main driving force in the opening ten minutes of the second period but, despite seeing most of the ball, the Terrors couldn’t force a save out of Matt Macey.

The hard work paid off eventually for Tam Courts’ side, Pawlett firing home from close range to narrow the deficit and breathe some life into a home support that had been largely quiet since the opening goal went in.

Having had to pick the ball out the back of the net, Macey was called into action far more than he had been in the preceding hour, denying Levitt before flubbing a catch and needing Ryan Porteous to bail him out.

The hosts were much improved after the break but there was a blow 20 minutes from the end when Marc McNulty went down holding has hamstring and disrupting the flow of the game as the Arabs looked to get a second goal.

Seconds after McNulty limped off, Peter Pawlett had the ball in the net for a second time, somehow getting the ball over the top of 6’8″ Macey before the assistant referee’s flag ruled it out for offside; like the earlier penalty, the officials got this decision wrong two.

It wasn’t all one way in the second half, Hibs going within inches of making it 4-1 and killing the tie off completely but Kevin Nisbet couldn’t make contact and poke the ball over the line and seal the win.

It wouldn’t matter in the end though and Jack Ross’ side will now have a semi-final to prepare for in November.

Dundee Utd: Carson, Mulgrew, Pawlett, McNulty, Clark, Edwards, Levitt, Freeman, Harkes, McMann, Fuchs

Subs: Siegrist, Sporle, Reynolds, Niskanen, Chalmers, Hoti, Mochrie, Apere, K Smith.

Hibs: Macey, McGinn, Porteous, Hanlon, Stevenson, Doyle-Hayes, Newell, Magennis, Allan, Boyle, Nisbet

Subs: Dabrowksi, Cadden, McGregor, Doig, Gullan, Gogic, Scott, MacKay, Wood.

NTOF now offers a YouTube channel featuring exclusive interviews, post-match discussion, in-depth debate, and much more – LIKE and SUBSCRIBE and don’t miss any of our videos.

Have something to tell us about this article?