Partick Thistle secured the SPFL League One title and automatic promotion back to the Championship by hammering Falkirk 5-0 at Firhill on Thursday night.

Zak Rudden, Scott Tiffoney, Brian Graham (2) and Joe Cardle bagged the goals on a perfect night for the Jags in Maryhill.

Celtic v Partick Thistle - Betfred Cup Scottish League Cup: Quarter Final

Ian McCall’s Partick Thistle hammered Falkirk to clinch the SPFL League One title. (Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images)

The home side dominated the opening stages of the contest, with Brian Graham and Zak Rudden wreaking havoc up top and James Penrice and Scott Tiffoney both testing Falkirk goalkeeper Robbie Mutch.

The visitors struggled to get the ball down and it took them until the 29th minute to get a shot off, with the dangerous Callumn Morrison firing wide of the right post.

Thistle responded to the warning shot in emphatic fashion, though, going straight up the other end and opening the scoring through Zak Rudden.

Full-back Ryan Williamson beat his man by cutting inside from the right, and Rudden expertly glanced his excellent inswinging cross into the bottom left corner.

The celebrations were considerable but the Jags immediately refocused and doubled their advantage just two minutes later, with Livingston loanee Tiffoney reacting quickest in the area and lashing home a loose ball following a corner.

There must have been a temptation to sit in after that but Ian McCall’s side kept their foot on the pedal and much to the delight of the fans watching on from the bank outside the ground, it was 3-0 four minutes before the interval.

Brian Graham picked up the ball 30 yards from goal and instead of offloading to Penrice, he turned and drove towards the edge of the box before unleashing an unstoppable drive into the left side of the net.

Morrison sent a glancing header wide for Falkirk and Penrice tested Mutch once again before referee David Dickinson ended an eventful first half.

31/01/20 - Partick Thistle v Ayr United - Ladbrokes Championship

Brian Graham put the hosts 3-0 up before the break. (Photo by Rob Casey / SNS Group via Getty Images)

Graham almost put the result beyond all doubt with a guided volley soon after the restart, but Gary Holt’s side looked a little fresher following a double substitution and Kai Fotheringham and Morrison soon forced Jamie Sneddon into his first saves of the match.

Any remaining hope for the away side would prove to be short-lived, though, as Graham’s second put the game out of sight.

Just before the hour mark, Williamson slipped Rudden into the channel on the right and he then showed composure to square for his strike partner, who tapped home from close range.

The hosts were absolutely rampant by this point as Falkirk’s shoulders slumped and it was five by the 72nd minute, as substitute Joe Cardle opportunistically pounced after Penrice’s initial effort from a Graham cross was bravely kept out by Mutch.

Cardle missed a good chance to make it six at the death after being sent clean through on goal but his disappointment turned to joy moments later as the final whistle confirmed Thistle’s promotion and champion status.

Falkirk’s hopes of going up now rest on the playoffs.

Have something to tell us about this article?