Kilmarnock were defeated on their trip to Glasgow as Celtic beat the Ayrshire men 2-0.

A cagey first half had the teams head down the Celtic Park tunnel goalless before the home side’s attacking endeavours proved fruitful in the second 45 as Mohamed Elyounoussi and Shane Duffy scored to hand Neil Lennon’s men victory.

Celtic v Kilmarnock - Ladbrokes Scottish Premiership

Celtic beat Kilmarnock. (Photo by Craig Williamson/SNS Group via Getty Images)

Alex Dyer’s team were looking to take advantage of hostilities brewing at their weekend hosts. Celtic fans protested against the club’s board as the teams arrived for kick-off as tensions grow.

They have been on a torrid run of domestic form but Dyer was well aware that this would still be a tall order in Glasgow. The Hoops looked up for the fight too, Christopher Julien denied eight minutes in by a fantastic Danny Rogers save.

Keeping calm and collected was key for the Rugby Park side and they stuck to that well, Celtic while dominating possession not doing much in front of goal. That said, Kilmarnock had to do more up the other end too.

Celtic v Kilmarnock - Ladbrokes Scottish Premiership

Dyer needed more in attack. (Photo by Craig Williamson/SNS Group via Getty Images)

A goalless first half passed by and more of the same was needed from Killie in the second, with more attacking flair added too. They were given a let-off just 15 seconds after the restart, Jeremie Frimpong breaking on Killie’s kick-off before Elyounoussi’s effort was saved by Rogers.

Odsonne Edouard was then denied, Rogers’ strong hand denying the Frenchman, Duffy the next to try and fail to beat Kilmarnock’s stopper. The Hoops were throwing everything at it and Edouard again somehow failed to hit the net.

Eventually the door was battered down, Elyounoussi’s effort deflected off Aaron McGowan and past Rogers. It was 2-0 20 minutes from time, David Turnbull’s floating corner headed into the net by Duffy.

Celtic v Kilmarnock - Ladbrokes Scottish Premiership

Sore one. (Photo by Craig Foy/SNS Group via Getty Images)

That ended the game as a contest, Kabamba having a good chance following Celtic’s second, but not one that hit the net. Kilmarnock sit eighth following this defeat and here are three things we learned.

Discipline key

While picking up a few bookings in this clash, some of which were harsh, Dyer got what he asked for pre-match. He told his players they needed to retain their discipline, picking up two first-half red cards in the last couple of matches.

Instead of lunging into tackles, they frustrated the Hoops and broke play up effectively. More of the same occurred in the second half but the overwhelming Celtic attack eventually proved too much.

Too much in the end. (Photo by Craig Williamson/SNS Group via Getty Images)

Rogers plays a blinder

A terrific display was put on by Kilmarnock’s number one at Parkhead. Rogers made four or five crucial saves to keep Celtic at bay and maintain Kilmarnock’s position in the match.

It handed his teammates a platform to build from, especially in the second half when they were under siege. He couldn’t keep everything out but he can certainly hold his head high after a good display.

Under pressure

Killie did a decent containment job on Celtic in the first 45 but the second half it wasn’t as effective. The Hoops threw everything at it in the second half and Kilmarnock couldn’t cope.

Under fire. (Photo by Craig Williamson/SNS Group via Getty Images)

Next to nothing was created in attack either, meaning there was little let-up for Dyer’s defence. Eventually the combination of Celtic pressure and lack of Killie attack’s took their toll.

NTOF now offers a YouTube channel featuring exclusive interviews, post-match discussion, in-depth debate, and much more – LIKE and SUBSCRIBE and don’t miss any of our videos.

Have something to tell us about this article?