Three things we learned as Motherwell and Aberdeen trade blows in 0-0 stalemate

Fir Park played host to a festive stalemate, Motherwell and Aberdeen unable to unlock the others defence during a 0-0 draw.

Derek McInnes’ side had the better of the first-half chances but were unable to convert any of them. The second half brought even fewer opportunities as proceedings petered out gradually.


Little action (Photo by Mark Scates/SNS Group via Getty Images)

Stephen Robinson said pre-match that his team needed a win. He wasn’t wrong, the Well without one since Halloween, but getting that against an Aberdeen side pushing for second over Christmas would be a challenge.

The Dons could have been a couple of goals up inside the first 22 minutes. Former Steelman Curtis Main almost haunted his old club, but his first flick went round the post while a free header cracked the bar.


Matty Kennedy had an effort go close too while Jonny Hayes made Jordan Archer work from a free-kick routine. Aberdeen certainly had the better of the opening 30 minutes but couldn’t make chances count.

McInnes’ men were close. (Photo by Alan Harvey/SNS Group via Getty Images)

Motherwell were limited to few chances, Mark O’Hara’s free kick straight at Joe Lewis the closest they got before the half-time whistle was blown at 0-0. Both sides needed more cutting edge to break the deadlock.

Sam Cosgrove was introduced to try and spark the Dons. But much like the end to the first, proceedings were cagey at the start of the second, appearing as if one goal would either spark this match or finish it.

It was a scrappy affair as the latter predicament looked likely heading into the final 20 minutes, nobody registering a chance of note in the second half up until that point. Devante Cole’s ball across the Aberdeen threatened but no Motherwell player could connect.

Cole created a chance. (Photo by Alan Harvey/SNS Group via Getty Images)

Liam Polworth was next to try and win it for Robinson but his shot was blocked with 12 minutes to play. It finished all-square as the shares were spoiled in Lanarkshire. Here are three things we learned.

101 club

Lewis Ferguson hit the coveted 100 game mark for Aberdeen on Sunday, with every one of them starts. In what was a scrappy affair, he was brilliant again, his energetic battle with Allan Campbell very interesting.

His tenacity in defence and passing were able to give the Dons control when they had possession, Ferguson currently play way beyond his 21 years of age suggests.

Top talent. (Photo by Ross MacDonald/SNS Group via Getty Images)

Few chances

Outside of Aberdeen’s opening round of efforts on Archer’s goal, neither side really threatened each other in the final third. It was a game played mostly in midfield with the occasional break up either end.

Motherwell had more of the chances late on in the second half but in the end both teams lacked a spark to get them maximum reward.

Point frustrations

While not a defeat, neither side will be particularly pleased with a point at this stage. With Hibs beating St Mirren, Aberdeen drop back into fourth spot, having sat in third spot prior to kick-off.

Motherwell’s run of straight defeats is over, but they are still without a win since October 31, albeit they still sit in the top six. They may be the happier of the two, but two wins in 10 games at Fir Park is something Robinson will want to rectify.

Needing home comforts. (Photo by Rob Casey/SNS Group via Getty Images)

NTOF now offers a YouTube channel featuring exclusive interviews, post-match discussion, in-depth debate, and much more – LIKE and SUBSCRIBE and don’t miss any of our videos.

Have something to tell us about this article?
Let us know
Categories: Match ReportNews
Tags: AberdeenMotherwellmotherwell v aberdeenScottish footballScottish Premiership