Aberdeen man Jon Gallagher has said Rangers were lucky to get in at half time a goal up during the 2-2 draw at Pittodrie.

It was a horror start for the Dons, going two goals down in the first 30 minutes through Scott Arfield and Ryan Jack efforts. A second half renaissance allowed Aberdeen back into the game after Gallagher netted before the break.

Gallagher got a strike for Aberdeen. (Photo by Scott Baxter/Getty Images)

Andy Considine netted the second Dons goal just minutes into the second half. Speaking to Sky Sports Football (21:44, 04/12/19), Gallagher says Aberdeen pinpointed different things about the Rangers performance they could use to their advantage.

“I’m obviously delighted to score my first goal but for the first 30 minutes we weren’t at our best and that goal came out of nowhere,” he said. “The crowd lifted us and we managed to get the second and could’ve got the third.

“The gaffer was trying to get it into us that we are good enough to compete with them. We were saying ‘they were lucky’ to get in at the break because the momentum really shifted in our way.

McInnes’ rally cry. (Photo by Scott Baxter/Getty Images)

“It’s a confidence boost for us.”

Gallagher’s side could’ve won the game

Aberdeen were nowhere to be seen in the first 30 minutes of the game. They allowed Rangers too much time and space, but fair play to the Red Army, they really got in Rangers’ face in the second 45.

They were aggressive and comfortable in possession, creating chances and forcing Rangers into mistakes. Players like Lewis Ferguson and Andy Considine were performing exceptionally well as Aberdeen chased a remarkable winner.

Almost had a third. (Photo by Scott Baxter/Getty Images)

It didn’t come but perhaps it should’ve. Sam Cosgrove almost had a 19th goal of the season, but he couldn’t make contact with the ball as the goal was wide open.

Whilst they didn’t start in the greatest fashion, they were certainly unlucky not to beat Rangers in the end.

Have something to tell us about this article?