Hearts owner Ann Budge has reportedly told the players that wage cuts will last until August, unless football resumes before then.

Budge made the difficult decision last week to request that full-time employees halve their wages to help the football club sustain over the next few months.

Football, of course, is on hold at the moment due to the Covid-19 pandemic, meaning clubs are unable to count on matchday revenues.

Hearts are without matchday income (Photo by Ewan Bootman/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

Hearts are one of the highest-profile clubs to have taken drastic action as a result of the shutdown caused by the virus.

According to The Edinburgh Evening News, these measures will be in place until August unless the season is able to restart sooner.

It is unclear when non-playing staff’s wages will revert back to normal.

Budge has apparently told players wage cuts would last till August (Photo by Mark Runnacles/Getty Images)

At the moment at Tynecastle, Steven Naismith is the only player to have publicly accepted the cut, as has assistant manager Jorg Sievers – manager Daniel Stendel is working for free.

Meanwhile, it appears the SFA are still no clearer to establishing how the 2019/20 season will conclude.

The UK is now in lockdown following Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s address to the nation on Monday night, and hopefully that is going to help slow the spread of Covid-19.

Have something to tell us about this article?