Dundee United boss Micky Mellon has no regrets over an incident which saw the club criticised by the Scottish Government.
Mellon missed last week’s league game against Livingston as he was forced to self-isolate as and nine players had to miss the game as well as a Covid-19 outbreak occurred at the club.
Not long after the outbreak was confirmed, it emerged that Dundee United had taken a team picture featuring the first-team squad during the pandemic.
This was criticised by the National Clinical Director of the Scottish Government Jason Leitch.
However, Mellon has defended the club, and said that all protocols were followed during the photocall.
“We followed all the protocols”
“In terms of regretting the picture, no, because we followed all the protocols” he said.
“Everybody jumped on it quite quickly, but if you look at it in detail, that was our bubble and there were two doctors in the picture who had asked the question ‘had we followed the protocols okay’. Teams had done it before us” he went on.
Has sympathy for Government
Mellon says that he has sympathy for Leitch and the Government about the situation.
“I even sympathise with Jason Leitch and the government because we are going through something for the first time. I hope we never go through this again, but I can assure you we will be better at it next time. If that is a lesson now, we will learn from it.”
On the plus side for the Tannadice side, the manager will be back in the dugout for Sunday’s game against Rangers, but assistant Stevie Frail will miss the game as he is unwell.
NTOF now offers a YouTube channel featuring exclusive interviews, post-match discussion, in-depth debate, and much more – LIKE and SUBSCRIBE and don’t miss any of our videos.