St. Mirren picked up what could be a vital three points this afternoon at a miserable Foys Stadium as Cammy MacPherson’s strike lifted the Buddies into ninth in the Scottish Premiership table.

With both sides languishing at the foot of the table, both sides were well aware of the importance of picking up the three points and starting to climb up the table – Saints started the afternoon bottom of the table with Hamilton only one point ahead with St. Johnstone sandwiched between the two.

Ilkay Durmas had the best early chance as he forced a fantastic save from Accies keeper Luke Southwood, tipping it onto the frame of the goal before it was cleared for a corner.

Aaron McGowan of Hamilton has a shot at goal during the Scottish Premier League match between Hearts and Hamilton at Tynecastle park on 31 August, 2019 in Edinburgh, Scotland.

(Photo by Ewan Bootman/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

Hamilton almost gifted St. Mirren an opener after a lack of communication in defence handed Morais a chance to shoot but he fired wildly over.

Mickel Miller then carved out a fantastic chance for the hosts when the Buddies failed to deal with his run down the left but there was nobody in the area to poke his teasing cross home.

The swirling wind and rain seemed to really be having an effect on the game with neither side able to get into any sort of rhythm and a number of long passes being visibly held up by the wind.

Despite the conditions, both sides were making a go of the game and trying to open the other up although both seemed to lack any real killer instinct in the final third.

There were massive shouts for a penalty from the home fans ofter Ogkmpoe went to ground under a challenge but referee Don Robertson waved play on.

April 23rd 2017, Hampden Park, Glasgow, Scotland; Scottish Cup football semi-final Celtic versus Rangers; Jim Goodwin (centre) watched from the stands

(Photo by Vagelis Georgariou/Action Plus via Getty Images)

Accies started to turn up the pressure as the half-time break approached with Miller and Ogkmpoe’s runs down the left causing problems for Jim Goodwin’s side but they couldn’t find a way through as the Buddies defence held firm.

It was the visitors who almost took an immediate lead after the restart as Morais found his way through and saw his shot smash off the base of the post and bounce clear as fans were still making their way back to their seats.

The constant rain made for a really slick surface and both sides were finding themselves struggling to control passes at times as the ball skidded up off the artificial turf.

St. Mirren’s early pressure after the break paid dividends as the Buddies took the lead through Cammy MacPherson, just minutes after he hit the crossbar with a free-kick.

The goals sparked a double switch for Hamilton as Ogkmpoe and Hunt were replaced by George Oakley and Scott Martin as manager Brian Rice tried to get his side back into the game.

2nd February 2019, Hope CBD Stadium, Hamilton, Scotland; Ladbrokes Premiership football, Hamilton Academical versus Dundee; Hamilton Academical manager Brian Rice

(photo by David Young/Action Plus via Getty Images)

The goal really seemed to knock the wind out of Hamilton’s sails and the Accies started to look really disjointed in their attempts to grab an equaliser.

Far too many attacks broke down just as the hosts got near the St. Mirren goal and they rarely tested Vaclav Hladky.

Hamilton’s chances of a comeback then took a hammer blow as Alex Gogic was dismissed for a last-man foul on Cooke as the Buddies sub was bearing down on Southwood with 13 minutes remaining.

The red card was the right decision and the Accies man can have no complaints after being given his marching orders.

With only six points separating the bottom six sides in the Scottish Premiership, this could prove to be a pivotal moment for both sides’ seasons.


Have something to tell us about this article?