St Mirren chief executive Tony Fitzpatrick says that it’s ‘bitterly disappointing’ that tomorrow’s match with Celtic has been postponed on another day of COVID-19 controversy.
The Buddies were due to host Celtic tomorrow as they look to bounce back from a disappointing 3-0 defeat to Rangers on Sunday. That won’t go ahead now after Hoops left-back Boli Bolingoli breached COVID-19 protocols.
He flew to Spain last week and failed to report his trip, not isolating for the mandatory 14 days upon his return before playing in Celtic’s 1-1 draw with Kilmarnock. It’s meant that the Parkhead side have had to postpone all their Premiership fixtures this week.
St Mirren will now have a free week ahead of their trip to Hamilton at the weekend. First Minister Nicola Sturgeon sent a stark warning to Scottish football following this incident, saying it has been shown a ‘yellow card’ and that next time it will be ‘red.’
With the game in Scotland likely one breach away from being put into shutdown, St Mirren’s chief executive has spoken, warning Scottish football not to do itself any more harm.
“We’ve learned at first hand within our club the importance of the testing regimen and 100% adherence to all social distancing and hygiene protocols,” he said. “It is bitterly disappointing that our game tomorrow has been postponed, but it underlines the hugely damaging consequences of even one player disregarding the new rules.
“We absolutely support the stance of the SFA and the SPFL in this matter. These necessary steps are there to protect our game, our players and the very future of every single club in the country. The stakes could not be higher and that is why as a club we will be constantly reinforcing the need for personal responsibility and vigilance.
“The Scottish game simply cannot afford to shoot itself in the foot.”