Partick Thistle go to Tynecastle tonight looking for a cup upset against Hearts. The Jags earned a Scottish Cup quarter final replay after a terrific 1-1 draw last Monday against Craig Levein’s men.

It’ll be a monumental victory for Gary Caldwell and his side if they do succeed in Gorgie tonight. It’ll be their first Scottish Cup success against Hearts since Thistle won the competition in 1921 and they haven’t reached the last four since 2002.

Caldwell will look for a cup shock. (photo by David Young/Action Plus via Getty Images)

It would also be Thistle’s first victory over them since May 2014, in what is one of their greatest games in recent years. Needing victory to secure Premiership survival, the Jags were 2-1 down in the first 45 minutes. Fast forward to full-time though and Alan Archibald’s men were 4-2 winners.

It was a dramatic night that will live long in the memory for Jags fans. We’ve taken a look at the four Partick goalscorers from this clash and where they are now.

Lyle Taylor- Charlton Athletic

Taylor got the first equaliser of the night after Callum Paterson had put Hearts in front. Kallum Higginbotham (more on him later) had put the Montserrat international through on goal and he calmly dispatched his effort into the bottom right corner.

Taylor in action for Charlton. (Photo by Kevin Barnes – CameraSport via Getty Images)

Taylor was a decent player for Thistle during his first loan spell, netting seven times for the Jags. He returned in 2015 where he netted three goals. Since then he had a good three year stint with English side AFC Wimbledon, where he played over 100 times and netted on 44 occasions.

This form got him a move to Charlton Athletic where he now plays as their number nine, scoring 13 goals so far this season and notching seven assists. He’s been at his best this term, but Thistle fans will no doubt remember Taylor’s time at Firhill with fondness.

Gary Fraser- Cowdenbeath

The second Jags equaliser after Danny Wilson put Hearts back in front, Fraser scored the goal of the night. He picked up the ball 25 yards from goal and sent a rocket into the top corner.

Fraser during the earlier stages of the 2013/14 season. (Photo by Mark Runnacles/Getty Images)

It was a massive goal that galvanised what was to follow for Thistle. This was Fraser’s third goal in black and yellow and it was arguably his best strike for the Firhill club. He would remain in Maryhill until 2018, when he departed the club following their relegation to the Championship.

The full-back now ply’s his trade in League Two with Cowdenbeath, following stints at Morton and Forfar Athletic.

Lee Mair- Retired

Centre-half Mair put Thistle in front for the first time at Tynecastle. His glancing header managed to find the bottom corner, much to the delight of him and the travelling support.

Mair faced Europe’s elite during his playing days. (Photo by Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images)

It was certainly the most important of his two goals he scored for Thistle over his 17 appearances at Firhill. He had joined the Jags following a five year stint at St Mirren and was a solid option for them over the course of 2014.

Spells at Dumbarton and Stranraer would follow before Mair hung up the boots in 2016.

Kallum Higginbotham- Dunfermline Athletic

He had tore Hearts to shreds all night, so it was fitting that Higginbotham got the final say in proceedings at Tynecastle.

Higginbotham was a creative spark for the Jags. (Photo by Manuel Queimadelos Alonso/Getty Images)

Taylor’s initial effort was saved before the winger blasted the rebound home to secure Premiership safety for the Jags. He had played well all night and was deserving of his moment in the spotlight.

Higginbotham stayed at Firhill for another year before departing for Kilmarnock. The former Motherwell and Huddersfield player would only last a season at Rugby Park, moving on to Dunfermline Athletic. He has became a trusted player since arriving at East End Park in 2016, appearing 77 time for the Pars.

Related Topics