Hibs boss Paul Heckingbottom has provided another update on the Hibs pursuit of former loanee Stephane Omeonga. It’s vitally important they hold tight in this drawn out process and don’t lose hope of signing him.

Speaking to the Daily Record, Heckingbottom said: “It’s still a possibility for Omeonga. It’s just really difficult when he’s not our player. There’s stuff I could say. He wants to come, we’d love to have him.

A Belgian youth international (JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER/AFP/Getty Images)

“We’re constantly in contact with him and his agent. He actually let us know he was playing U21s with Belgium the other day. He’s a good fit for us, but whether we can do it or not, we’ll have to wait and see. And the difficulty is, we can’t wait.

“We give it until we make another signing. There will come a point where we’ll be able to say: ‘We’ve got this one. We might get this one’, and we’ll have to take the sure thing.”

Heckingbottom and Hibs should hold out for Omeonga

What the Hibs boss says is true, there will come a point where the Hibees have to assess other options, however, they need to give this deal as much time as possible.

Hibs need him back. (photo by Alan Rennie/Action Plus via Getty Images)

Are his other options better than Omeonga? Probably not, because if they were, they’d already be in talks with them or potential they’d be Hibs players by this point.

The Belgian is exactly what they need. Even if it takes longer than expected, Hibs need to try and make this work. If these comment are anything to by, Omeonga wants a Leith return.

That’s at least encouraging for the Easter Road faithful. Hopefully both parties wanting the same prize leads to the one result. It’s just a case of whether they can convince Omeonga’s parent club Genoa to let him go.

Genoa provide a stumbling block. (Photo by Alexandre Dimou/Icon Sport via Getty Images)

Hibs just need to hold tight with this one. If they get itchy feet too soon, they’ll miss out on the midfield battler. It’d be better to miss out on other midfielders to try and sign Omeonga.

Hopefully a deal works out for both club and player.

Related Topics